Thursday, 15 November 2012

Andy Stott - Merciless



I discovered the genius of Andy Stott too recently. This was after hearing the track Numb - the infectious opener from his latest album Luxury Problems. Numb has an ethereal feel that only a few talented artists can achieve (Cocteau Twins spring to mind). However, Stott does dreamy techno soundscapes as opposed to operatic post-punk.   

I've downloaded Luxury Problems but yet to hear it as I'm currently engrossed in his debut long-player Merciless. After hearing Numb I get the sense that Merciless is quite different to Stott's recent work but it's still definitely worth your attention. Similar to the sleeve art, the music is noir and minimal which isn't surprising as it hails from rainy Northern England. I can even hear echoes of early Autechre (techno veterans from that part of the world) in the brooding bits.   

Buried under the glitch and blips there's also a warmth running through the disparate elements of these tracks. A couple of them are orchestral like and purely piano led, which reminds me of Esbjorn Svensson Trio. And, as varied as it is, Merciless still manages to have an overarching feel - one that is epic and classical. Other techno records carrying this air include Amber (Autchre again) and Actress' recent RIP (a strong contender for album of 2012). Unlike those records, Merciless isn't that inventive but definitely a note-worthy consolidation of its genre. 

After listening to Merciless you are also left with a thirsty anticipation over where Stott will go next. Good thing that I don't have to wait long to hear Luxury Problems.    

No comments:

Post a Comment